How to Pick the Best Name for Your Clothing Brand
When you’re starting a clothing brand, coming up with a name can be a tricky process! It can take a lot of work to come up with clothing brand name ideas and find that perfect fit.
That’s why we’re here to help. While choosing a name for your company does require some thought, it’s not as intimidating as it might seem at first (we promise!).
- A name is for life. Changing your company name can be confusing for your clients and a headache for you (think about things like domain names, rebranding, etc).
- Is it trademarked? You can run into legal issues if you start using a trademarked name – which leads us back to point 1 (changing a name isn’t fun).
- What’s the emotional value? What are people going to think of when they hear your brand name?
- Are there any negative or weird associations with the name? You definitely don’t want people to associate your brand with something unpleasant.
3 practical steps for choosing a brand name
- Gather ideas. Try these methods to get started:
- Look at brand names you already like. See if you can find out how they came up with their name.
- 100-200 word lists. List just about every word or term that could be associated with your brand (e.g. urban t-shirts, street, etc.)
- Word Porn. This site helps you find words with really specific meanings that you might never have heard of before.
- SEO and keywords. Create a list of keywords that are related to your company .
- Check everything! Remember how we told you to keep a few things in mind before starting? Well, this is where you’ll be glad you did.
- Start by checking if the domain name is available.
- Then, move on to connotations. Make sure there aren’t any alternative meanings for the term that aren’t so great.
- Google it! Are there lots of similarly named brands out there?
- Check that it doesn’t mean anything horrible in another language!
- Human-proof it. You may come up with a clever name that nobody can pronounce.
- Tell someone your company name in a noisy place. Do they understand what you’re saying?
- Is it readable?
- Use your common sense.
Now, finalize it!
Register and protect your name. Next, it’s time to start thinking about the next step – the visual part. But for now, celebrate your new name!